By Rippan Sandhu
What comes to your mind when you think of Mother’s Day celebrations? For us, it’s all about indulgent treats for our mums all day long and pampering her in ways she would never do for herself. While gifts are great, spending a spa day with mum is our idea of the perfect way to unwind and catch up with her. But we know it may not always be possible to head out to a luxury spa, so we have decided to help you bring the spa experience to your home! If your mum is anything like ours, she probably spends more time taking care of the family than herself. So lay out the red carpet for her this Mother’s Day right at home and spend a meaningful day helping her rediscover Ayurveda-inspired wellness. If you are running short of time, choose one or two activities from the ideas below and treat your mum to a couple of hours of relaxation at home.
Start the day with a nourishing breakfast
Nothing kick starts the day on a positive note more than a hearty breakfast. Depending on your mum’s food preferences, prepare a yummy meal to begin Mother’s Day, something to keep her feeling nourished for the rest of the day. Some of our favourite breakfast dishes are inspired from Ayurvedic traditions that ensure that the first meal of the day is just right for your body and mind. Here is an easy recipe for a spiced oatmeal that’s not only perfect for beating the early morning chills but is delicious as well. Ingredients 1 teaspoon Ghee ⅓ cup chopped nuts (Walnuts, Almonds, Pecans or any other nuts of your choice) 1 cup rolled oats 1.5 cups warm milk of your choice 1 cup warm water 1 tablespoon raisins or chopped dates ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1. Heat Ghee in a pan and lightly toast the oats for a few minutes until fragrant.
- 2. Add warm milk and water along with the cinnamon powder to the pan and cook until the oats are tender and the mixture reaches your desired consistency.
- 3. Take the pan off the heat and mix in the raisins/dates and the chopped nuts.
- 4. Serve warm topped with your mum’s favourite fresh fruits.
Give mum a relaxing foot soak
After the breakfast treat, begin the home spa experience with a warm, relaxing foot soak. Our feet carry our entire body weight and more often than not, they end up being one of the most neglected parts of our body. A foot soak doesn’t need to be expensive or elaborate, and it’s a great way to help relax the leg muscles and ground her mind. As a bonus, she will also end up with clean, soft feet, ready to take on the world! So let mum sit back with a cup of ginger tea and enjoy this aromatic and comforting foot bath.
Ingredients 1 tablespoon Epsom salt Dried herbs such as Lavender, Rosemary or Sage
- 1. Add hot water to a small tub and mix the Epsom salt and dried herbs.
- 2. Let them soak for a while until the water reaches a comfortable temperature
- 3. Soak your feet in the water bath for 15-20 minutes while you listen to some music or read a book!
Whip up an easy DIY face mask
Now it’s time to take the home spa experience a notch higher to make mum feel pampered on her special day. What could be more indulgent than treating her tired skin to a face mask prepared from fresh rose petals right at home? An excellent ingredient for soothing inflamed skin, Rose is also naturally loaded with Vitamins E and C, essential for maintaining skin health. Here’s a quick DIY face mask recipe that you can create using a few ingredients readily available in the kitchen and as a bonus, have your entire home smell like a garden of fresh flowers!
- 1/4 cup mashed Rose petals
- 2 Tbsp Rosewater or Ayurda Rose Mist
- 2 Tbsp yogurt
- 1 Tbsp ground oats or chickpea flour
- 1. Mix the mashed Rose petals with the rest of the ingredients to make a thick paste.
- 2. Apply an even layer to the face and let the mask dry.
- 3. Rinse with milk, followed by a splash of cold water.
Draw a luxurious bath to end the day
Wrap up the spa experience at home by getting a relaxing bath ready for mum. We know how time-poor all mums are, but on Mother’s Day, urge her to put herself first and take time out for nurturing her physical and mental health. A relaxing ritual to pamper all senses, a Rose milk bath at home is one of our favourite ways to unwind. The beautiful aroma of the bathwater and the healing properties of Rose and Epsom salt will work like magic to take away stress and rejuvenate not just her skin, but her mind too.
- ¼ cup Epsom salt or Himalayan pink salt
- A few drops of Rose essential oil
- Dried or fresh Rose petals
- ¼ cup Milk Powder
- 1. Mix the salt and powdered milk in a clean bowl.
- 2. Add the essential oil to this dry mix and stir thoroughly to combine.
- 3. Finally, add the dried Rose petals if storing the bath mix for later. If using immediately, add crushed fresh Rose petals. Add the mix to warm water just before a bath and enjoy a spa-like experience right at home.